This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 01/26/2015 at 08:45 am.
On November 27, 2012, the Securities and Exchange Commission (“Commission”) issued an order pursuant to its authority under Rule 612(c) of Regulation NMS (“Sub-Penny Rule)  that granted the BATS Y-Exchange, Inc. (“BYX” or the “Exchange”) a limited exemption from the Sub-Penny Rule in connection with the operation of the Exchange's Retail Price Improvement (“RPI”) Program (the “Program”). The limited exemption was granted concurrently with the Commission's approval of the Exchange's proposal to adopt the Program for a one-year pilot term. The exemption was granted coterminous with the effectiveness of the pilot Program and has been extended once;  both the pilot Program and exemption are scheduled to expire on January 31, 2015.
The Exchange now seeks to extend the exemption until January 31, 2016. The Exchange's request was made in conjunction with an immediately effective filing that extends the operation of the Program until January Start Printed Page 432531, 2016. In its request to extend the exemption, the Exchange notes that the Program was implemented gradually over time. Accordingly, the Exchange has asked for additional time to allow itself and the Commission to analyze data concerning the Program, which the Exchange committed to provide to the Commission. For this reason and the reasons stated in the Order originally granting the limited exemption, the Commission finds that extending the exemption, pursuant to its authority under Rule 612(c) of Regulation NMS, is appropriate in the public interest and consistent with the protection of investors.
Therefore, it is hereby ordered, that, pursuant to Rule 612(c) of Regulation NMS, the Exchange is granted a limited exemption from Rule 612(c) of Regulation NMS that allows it to accept and rank orders priced equal to or greater than $1.00 per share in increments of $0.001, in connection with the operation of its RPI Program, until January 31, 2016.
The limited and temporary exemption extended by this Order is subject to modification or revocation if at any time the Commission determines that such action is necessary or appropriate in furtherance of the purposes of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Responsibility for compliance with any applicable provisions of the federal securities laws must rest with the persons relying on the exemption that is the subject of this Order.
For the Commission, by the Division of Trading and Markets, pursuant to delegated authority.Start Signature
Brent J. Fields,
2. See Securities Exchange Act Release No. 68303 (November 27, 2012), 77 FR 71652 (December 3, 2012) (“RPI Approval Order”) (SR-BYX-2012-019).Back to Citation
3. See Securities Exchange Act Release No. 71249 (January 7, 2014), 79 FR 2229 (January 13, 2012) (SR-BYX-2014-001) (extending the pilot period); Securities Exchange Act Release No. 71250 (January 7, 2014), 79 FR 2234 (January 13, 2012) (Order Granting an Extension to Limited Exemption From Rule 612(c) of Regulation NMS in Connection With the Exchange's Retail Price Improvement Program).Back to Citation
4. See letter from Eric Swanson, Senior Vice President and General Counsel, BYX, to Elizabeth M. Murphy, Secretary, Commission, dated January 16, 2015.Back to Citation
5. See SR-BYX-2015-05.Back to Citation
6. See RPI Approval Order, supra note 2, at 77 FR at 71657.Back to Citation
[FR Doc. 2015-01425 Filed 1-26-15; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 8011-01-P