Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Labor.
In this notice, OSHA announces the application of TUV Rheinland of North America, Inc. (TUVRNA), for expansion of its recognition as a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) and presents the Agency's preliminary finding to grant the application.
Submit comments, information, and documents in response to this notice, or requests for an extension of time to make a submission, on or before August 25, 2015.
Submit comments by any of the following methods:
1. Electronically: Submit comments and attachments electronically at http://www.regulations.gov, which is the Federal eRulemaking Portal. Follow Start Printed Page 47954the instructions online for making electronic submissions.
2. Facsimile: If submissions, including attachments, are not longer than 10 pages, commenters may fax them to the OSHA Docket Office at (202) 693-1648.
3. Regular or express mail, hand delivery, or messenger (courier) service: Submit comments, requests, and any attachments to the OSHA Docket Office, Docket No. OSHA-2007-0042, Technical Data Center, U.S. Department of Labor, 200 Constitution Avenue NW., Room N-2625, Washington, DC 20210; telephone: (202) 693-2350 (TTY number: (877) 889-5627). Note that security procedures may result in significant delays in receiving comments and other written materials by regular mail. Contact the OSHA Docket Office for information about security procedures concerning delivery of materials by express mail, hand delivery, or messenger service. The hours of operation for the OSHA Docket Office are 8:15 a.m.-4:45 p.m., e.t.
4. Instructions: All submissions must include the Agency name and the OSHA docket number (OSHA-2007-0042). OSHA places comments and other materials, including any personal information, in the public docket without revision, and these materials will be available online at http://www.regulations.gov. Therefore, the Agency cautions commenters about submitting statements they do not want made available to the public, or submitting comments that contain personal information (either about themselves or others) such as Social Security numbers, birth dates, and medical data.
5. Docket: To read or download submissions or other material in the docket, go to http://www.regulations.gov or the OSHA Docket Office at the address above. All documents in the docket are listed in the http://www.regulations.gov index; however, some information (e.g., copyrighted material) is not publicly available to read or download through the Web site. All submissions, including copyrighted material, are available for inspection and copying at the OSHA Docket Office. Contact the OSHA Docket Office for assistance in locating docket submissions.
6. Extension of comment period: Submit requests for an extension of the comment period on or before August 25, 2015 to the Office of Technical Programs and Coordination Activities, Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, U.S. Department of Labor, 200 Constitution Avenue NW., Room N-3655, Washington, DC 20210, or by fax to (202) 693-1644.
Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Information regarding this notice is available from the following sources:
Press inquiries: Contact Mr. Frank Meilinger, Director, OSHA Office of Communications, U.S. Department of Labor, 200 Constitution Avenue NW., Room N-3647, Washington, DC 20210; telephone: (202) 693-1999; email: Meilinger.email@example.com.
General and technical information: Contact Mr. Kevin Robinson, Director, Office of Technical Programs and Coordination Activities, Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, U.S. Department of Labor, 200 Constitution Avenue NW., Room N-3655, Washington, DC 20210; phone: (202) 693-2110 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
End Further Info
Start Supplemental Information
I. Notice of the Application for Expansion
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is providing notice that TUVRNA is applying for expansion of its current recognition as an NRTL. TUVRNA requests the addition of one recognized testing and certification site to its NRTL scope of recognition.
OSHA recognition of an NRTL signifies that the organization meets the requirements specified in Title 29, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 1910.7 (29 CFR 1910.7). Recognition is an acknowledgment that the organization can perform independent safety testing and certification of the specific products covered within its scope of recognition and is not a delegation or grant of government authority. Recognition enables employers to use products approved by the NRTL to meet OSHA standards that require product testing and certification.
The Agency processes applications by an NRTL for initial recognition, and for an expansion or renewal of this recognition, following requirements in Appendix A to 29 CFR 1910.7. This appendix requires that the Agency publish two notices in the Federal Register in processing an application. In the first notice, OSHA announces the application and provides its preliminary finding. In the second notice, the Agency provides its final decision on the application. These notices set forth the NRTL's scope of recognition or modifications of that scope. OSHA maintains an informational Web page for each NRTL, including TUVRNA, which details the NRTL's scope of recognition. These pages are available from the OSHA Web site at http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/index.html.
TUVRNA currently has two facilities (sites) recognized by OSHA for product testing and certification, with its headquarters located at: TUV Rheinland of North America, Inc., 12 Commerce Rd., Newtown, CT 06470. A complete list of TUVRNA sites recognized by OSHA is available at http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/tuvrna.html.
II. General Background on the Application
TUVRNA submitted an application, dated January 9, 2015 (OSHA-2007-0042; Exhibit 15-1—TUVRNA Request for Expansion—January 2015), to expand its recognition to include the addition of one recognized testing and certification site located at: TUV Rheinland of North America, Inc., 1279 Quarry Lane, Pleasanton, CA 94566. OSHA staff performed a detailed analysis of the application and other pertinent information. OSHA staff also performed an on-site review of TUVRNA's testing facility in Pleasanton, CA on March 17, 2015, in which the assessors found some nonconformances with the requirements of 29 CFR 1910.7. TUVRNA addressed these issues sufficiently, and OSHA staff recommended that OSHA should grant the application.
III. Preliminary Finding on the Application
TUVRNA submitted an acceptable application for expansion of its scope of recognition. OSHA's review of the application file and its detailed on-site assessment indicate that TUVRNA can meet the requirements prescribed by 29 CFR 1910.7 for expanding its recognition to include the addition of the one site detailed above for NRTL testing and certification. This preliminary finding does not constitute an interim or temporary approval of TUVRNA's application.
OSHA welcomes public comment as to whether TUVRNA meets the requirements of 29 CFR 1910.7 for expansion of its recognition as an NRTL. Comments should consist of pertinent written documents and exhibits. Commenters needing more time to comment must submit a request in writing, stating the reasons for the request. Commenters must submit the written request for an extension by the due date for comments. OSHA will limit any extension to 10 days unless the requester justifies a longer period. OSHA may deny a request for an Start Printed Page 47955extension if it is not adequately justified. To obtain or review copies of the publicly available information in TUVRNA's application, including pertinent documents (e.g., exhibits) and all submitted comments, contact the Docket Office, Room N-2625, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, U.S. Department of Labor, at the above address; these materials also are available online at http://www.regulations.gov under Docket No. OSHA-2007-0042.
OSHA staff will review all comments to the docket submitted in a timely manner and, after addressing the issues raised by these comments, will recommend to the Assistant Secretary for Occupational Safety and Health whether to grant TUVRNA's application for expansion of its scope of recognition. The Assistant Secretary will make the final decision on granting the application. In making this decision, the Assistant Secretary may undertake other proceedings prescribed in Appendix A to 29 CFR 1910.7. OSHA will publish a public notice of this final decision in the Federal Register.
IV. Authority and Signature
David Michaels, Ph.D., MPH, Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health, 200 Constitution Avenue NW., Washington, DC 20210, authorized the preparation of this notice. Accordingly, the Agency is issuing this notice pursuant to 29 U.S.C. 657(g)(2), Secretary of Labor's Order No. 1-2012 (77 FR 3912, Jan. 25, 2012), and 29 CFR 1910.7.
End Supplemental Information
Signed at Washington, DC, on August 5, 2015.
Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health.
[FR Doc. 2015-19593 Filed 8-7-15; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4510-26-P