Food and Drug Administration, HHS.
Notice of availability.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA or Agency) is announcing the availability of a draft guidance for industry entitled “Over-the-Counter Sunscreens: Safety and Effectiveness Data.” This draft guidance addresses FDA's current thinking about the safety and effectiveness data needed to determine whether a nonprescription sunscreen active ingredient or combination of active ingredients evaluated under the Sunscreen Innovation Act (SIA) is generally recognized as safe and effective (GRASE) and not misbranded when used under specified conditions. The guidance also addresses FDA's current thinking about an approach to safety-related final formulation testing that it anticipates adopting in the future.
Although you can comment on any guidance at any time (see 21 CFR 10.115(g)(5)), to ensure that the Agency considers your comment on this draft guidance before it begins work on the final version of the guidance, submit either electronic or written comments on the draft guidance by January 22, 2016.
You may submit comments as follows:
Submit electronic comments in the following way:
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments. Comments submitted electronically, including attachments, to http://www.regulations.gov will be posted to the docket unchanged. Because your comment will be made public, you are solely responsible for ensuring that your comment does not include any confidential information that you or a third party may not wish to be posted, such as medical information, your or anyone else's Social Security number, or confidential business information, such as a manufacturing process. Please note that if you include your name, contact information, or other information that identifies you in the body of your comments, that information will be posted on http://www.regulations.gov.
- If you want to submit a comment with confidential information that you do not wish to be made available to the public, submit the comment as a written/paper submission and in the manner detailed (see “Written/Paper Submissions” and “Instructions”).
Submit written/paper submissions as follows:
- Mail/Hand delivery/Courier (for written/paper submissions): Division of Dockets Management (HFA-305), Food and Drug Administration, 5630 Fishers Lane, Rm. 1061, Rockville, MD 20852.
- For written/paper comments submitted to the Division of Dockets Management, FDA will post your comment, as well as any attachments, except for information submitted, marked and identified, as confidential, if submitted as detailed in “Instructions.”
Instructions: All submissions received must include the Docket No. FDA-2015-D-4021 for“Over-the-Counter Sunscreens: Safety and Effectiveness Data; Draft Guidance for Industry; Availability.” Received comments will be placed in the docket and, except for those submitted as “Confidential Submissions,” publicly viewable at http://www.regulations.gov or at the Division of Dockets Management between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Confidential Submissions—To submit a comment with confidential information that you do not wish to be made publicly available, submit your comments only as a written/paper submission. You should submit two copies total. One copy will include the information you claim to be confidential with a heading or cover note that states “THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION.” The Agency will review this copy, including the claimed confidential information, in its consideration of comments. The second copy, which will have the claimed confidential information redacted/blacked out, will be available for public viewing and posted on http://www.regulations.gov. Submit both copies to the Division of Dockets Management. If you do not wish your name and contact information to be made publicly available, you can provide this information on the cover sheet and not in the body of your comments and you must identify this information as “confidential.” Any information marked as “confidential” will not be disclosed except in accordance with 21 CFR 10.20 and other applicable disclosure law. For more information about FDA's posting of comments to public dockets, see 80 FR 56469, September 18, 2015, or access the information at: http://www.fda.gov/regulatoryinformation/dockets/default.htm.
Docket: For access to the docket to read background documents or the electronic and written/paper comments received, go to http://www.regulations.gov and insert the docket number, found in brackets in the heading of this document, into the “Search” box and follow the prompts and/or go to the Division of Dockets Management, 5630 Fishers Lane, Rm. 1061, Rockville, MD 20852.
Submit written requests for single copies of the draft guidance to the Division of Drug Information, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, 10001 New Hampshire Ave., Hillandale Building, 4th Floor, Silver Spring, MD 20993-0002. Send one self-addressed adhesive label to assist that office in processing your requests. See the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section for electronic access to the draft guidance document.
Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Kristen Hardin, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, 10903 New Hampshire Ave., Bldg. 22, Rm. 5443, Silver Spring, MD 20993-0002, 240-402-4246.
End Further Info
Start Supplemental Information
Start Printed Page 72976
FDA is announcing the availability of a draft guidance for industry entitled “Over-the-Counter Sunscreens: Safety and Effectiveness Data.” This draft guidance addresses FDA's current thinking regarding the safety and effectiveness data needed to determine whether a nonprescription sunscreen active ingredient or combination of active ingredients evaluated under the SIA is GRASE and not misbranded when used under specified conditions. The guidance also addresses FDA's current thinking about an approach to safety-related final formulation testing that it anticipates adopting in the future.
FDA is issuing this guidance in partial implementation of the SIA (Pub. L. 113-195), enacted November 26, 2014, which amended the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the FD&C Act). Among other things, the SIA established new procedures and review time lines for FDA to determine whether a nonprescription sunscreen active ingredient or combination of active ingredients is GRASE and not misbranded when used under the conditions specified in a final sunscreen order (GRASE determination) (21 U.S.C. 360fff-1, -2, and -3). The SIA also directed FDA to issue four guidances on various topics, including this guidance (21 U.S.C. 360ffff-4). Many of the safety topics addressed in this guidance were discussed at a public Nonprescription Drug Advisory Committee meeting held September 4 and 5, 2014 (http://www.fda.gov/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/NonprescriptionDrugsAdvisoryCommittee/ucm380890.htm).
This draft guidance is being issued consistent with FDA's good guidance practices regulation (21 CFR 10.115). The draft guidance, when finalized, will represent the current thinking of FDA on “Over-the-Counter Sunscreens: Safety and Effectiveness Data; Draft Guidance for Industry; Availability.” It does not establish any rights for any person and is not binding on FDA or the public. You can use an alternative approach if it satisfies the requirements of the applicable statutes and regulations.
II. The Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995
This guidance contains collections of information that are exempt from the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (PRA) (44 U.S.C. 3501-3520). Section 586D(a)(1)(C) of the FD&C Act (21 U.S.C. 360fff-4(a)(1)(C)) as amended by the SIA states that the PRA shall not apply to collections of information made for purposes of guidance under that subsection.
III. Electronic Access
Persons with access to the Internet may obtain the draft guidance at either http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/default.htm or http://www.regulations.gov.
End Supplemental Information
Dated: November 16, 2015.
Associate Commissioner for Policy.
[FR Doc. 2015-29636 Filed 11-20-15; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4164-01-P