This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 09/02/2016 at 08:45 am.
National Park Service, Interior.
Notice of availability, Final Environmental Impact Statement.
The National Park Service (NPS) announces the availability of the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) for the Nonfederal Oil and Gas Regulations (36 CFR part 9, subpart B) Revisions.
September 7, 2016.
Copies of the FEIS will be available for public review at http://parkplanning.nps.gov/FEIS9B. A limited number of hard copies will be available upon request.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
David Steensen, Chief, Geologic Resource Division, National Park Service, P.O. Box 25287, Denver, CO 80225; phone (303) 969-2014. The responsible official for this FEIS is the Associate Director, Natural Resource Stewardship and Science, 1849 C Street NW., Washington, DC 20240.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
Pursuant to the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969, 42 U.S.C. 4332(2)(C), the FEIS evaluates the impacts of three alternatives, including the following alternative elements:
- Elimination of two regulatory provisions that exempt 60% of the oil and gas operations in System units. All operators in System units would be required to comply with the 9B regulations.
- Elimination of the financial assurance (bonding) cap. Financial assurance would be equal to the reasonable estimated cost of site reclamation.
- Improving enforcement authority by incorporating existing NPS penalty provisions. Law enforcement staff would have authority to write citations for noncompliance with the regulations.
- Authorizing compensation to the federal government for new access on federal lands and waters outside the boundary of an operator's mineral right.
- Reformatting the regulations to make it easier to identify an operator's information requirements and operating standards that apply to each type of operation.
Dated: August 30, 2016.
Raymond M. Sauvajot,
Associate Director, Natural Resource Stewardship and Science, Washington Office, National Park Service.
[FR Doc. 2016-21186 Filed 9-2-16; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4312-52-P