This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 09/07/2016 at 08:45 am.
National Park Service, Interior.
Notice; request for comments.
We (National Park Service, NPS) will ask the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to approve the information collection (IC) described below. As required by the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 and as part of our continuing efforts to reduce paperwork and respondent burden, we invite the general public and other Federal agencies to take this opportunity to comment on this IC. This IC is scheduled to expire on April 30, 2017. We may not conduct or sponsor and a person is not required to respond to a collection of information unless it displays a currently valid OMB control number.
To ensure that we are able to consider your comments on this IC, we must receive them by November 7, 2016.
Send your comments on the IC to Madonna L. Baucum, Information Collection Clearance Officer, National Park Service, 12201 Sunrise Valley Dr., Mail Stop 242, Reston, VA 20192 (mail); or firstname.lastname@example.org (email). Please include “1024-0236” in the subject line of your comments.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
To request additional information about this IC, contact Bill Commins, Natural Resource Stewardship and Science, National Park Service, 1201 I St. NW., (Floor 8, Room 46), Washington DC 20005 (mail); 202-513-7166 (telephone); 202-371-1944 (fax); or email@example.com (email).End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
Regulations at 36 CFR 2.1 and 2.5 provide for taking of scientific research specimens in parks. We use a permit system to manage scientific research and collecting. National Park Service Forms 10-741a (Application for a Scientific Research and Collecting Permit) and 10-741b (Application for a Science Education Permit) collect information from persons seeking a permit to conduct natural or social science research and collection activities in individual units of the National Park System. The information we collect includes, but is not limited to:
- Names and business contact information.
- Project title, purpose of study, summary of proposed field methods and activities, and study and field schedules.
- Location where scientific activities are proposed to take place, including method of access.
- Whether or not specimens are proposed to be collected or handled, and if yes, scientific descriptions and proposed disposition of specimens.
- If specimens are to be permanently retained, the proposed repositories for those specimens.
Persons who receive a permit must report annually on the activities conducted under the permit. Form 10-226 (Investigator's Annual Report) collects the following information:
- Reporting year, park, and type of permit.
- Names and business contact information and names of additional investigators.
- Project title, park-assigned study or activity number, park-assigned permit number, permit start and expiration dates, and scientific study start and ending dates.
- Activity type, subject discipline, purpose of study/activity during the reporting year, and finding and status of study or accomplishments of education activity during the reporting year.
We use the above information to manage the use and preservation of park resources and for reporting to the public via the Internet about the status of permitted research and collecting activities. We encourage respondents to use the Internet-based, automated Research Permit and Reporting System (RPRS) to complete and submit applications and reports. For those who use RPRS, much of the information needed for the annual report is generated automatically through information supplied in the application or contained in the permit.
You may obtain additional information about the application and reporting forms and existing guidance and explanatory material by clicking on “Help” at the RPRS Web site (https://irma.nps.gov/RPRS/).
OMB Control Number: 1024-0236.
Title: Research Permit and Reporting System Applications and Reports, 36 CFR 2.1 and 2.5.
Service Form Number(s): NPS Forms 10-226, 10-741a, and 10-741b.
Type of Request: Extension of a currently approved collection.
Description of Respondents: Individuals; businesses; academic and research institutions; and Federal, State, local, and tribal governments.
Respondent's Obligation: Required to obtain or retain a benefit.
Frequency of Collection: On occasion for applications; annually for reports.
|Activity||Number of respondents||Number of annual responses||Completion time per response||Total annual burden hours|
|Form 10-226, “Investigator's Annual Report”|
|Private Sector||2,600||2,600||15 minutes||650|
|Form 10-741a, “Application for a Scientific Research and Collecting Permit”|
|Private Sector||2,400||2,400||1.38 hours||3,312|
|Start Printed Page 62176|
|Form 10-741b, “Application for a Science Education Permit”|
|Private Sector||215||215||1 hour||215|
We invite comments concerning this information collection on:
- Whether or not the collection of information is necessary, including whether or not the information will have practical utility;
- The accuracy of our estimate of the burden for this collection of information;
- Ways to enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
- Ways to minimize the burden of the collection of information on respondents.
Comments that you submit in response to this notice are a matter of public record. We will include or summarize each comment in our request to OMB to approve this IC. Before including your address, phone number, email address, or other personal identifying information in your comment, you should be aware that your entire comment, including your personal identifying information, may be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold your personal identifying information from public review, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.Start Signature
Dated: September 1, 2016.
Madonna L. Baucum,
Information Collection Clearance Officer, National Park Service.
[FR Doc. 2016-21568 Filed 9-7-16; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4310-EH-P