This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 04/20/2017 at 08:45 am.
Notice of request for public comment and submission to OMB of proposed collection of information.
The Department of State is seeking Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval for the information collection described below. In accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, we are requesting comments on this collection from all interested individuals and organizations. The purpose of this Notice is to allow 60 days for public comment preceding submission of the collection to OMB.
The Department will accept comments from the public up to June 20, 2017.
You may submit comments by any of the following methods:
- Web: Persons with access to the Internet may comment on this notice by going to www.Regulations.gov. You can search for the document by entering “Docket Number: DOS-2017-0014 in the Search field. Then click the “Comment Now” button and complete the comment form.
- Email: PPTFormsOfficer@state.gov.
You must include the DS form number (if applicable), information collection title, and the OMB control number in any correspondence.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Direct requests for additional information regarding the collection listed in this notice, including requests for copies of the proposed collection instrument and supporting documents, by mail to PPT Forms Officer, U.S. Department of State, CA/PPT/S/L 44132 Mercure Cir, P.O. Box 1227 Sterling, VA 20166-1227, or PPTFormsOfficer@state.gov.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
- Title of Information Collection: Affidavit Regarding a Change of Name.
- OMB Control Number: 1405-0133.
- Type of Request: Revision of a Currently Approved Collection.
- Originating Office: Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Passport Services, Office of Legal Affairs and Law Enforcement Liaison (CA/PPT/S/L/LA).
- Form Number: DS-60.
- Respondents: Individuals.
- Estimated Number of Respondents: 161,239.
- Estimated Number of Responses: 161,239.
- Average Time per Response: 40 minutes.
- Total Estimated Burden Time: 107,493 hours.
- Frequency: On Occasion.
- Obligation to Respond: Required to Obtain a Benefit.
We are soliciting public comments to permit the Department to:
- Evaluate whether the proposed information collection is necessary for the proper functions of the Department.
- Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the time and cost burden for this proposed collection, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used.
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected.
- Minimize the reporting burden on those who are to respond, including the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of information technology.
Please note that comments submitted in response to this Notice are public record. Before including any detailed personal information, you should be aware that your comments as submitted, including your personal information, will be available for public review.
Abstract of Proposed Collection
The Affidavit Regarding a Change of Name is submitted in conjunction with an application for a U.S. passport. It collects information that the Department uses to establish that an applicant for a U.S. passport has adopted a new name without formal court proceedings or by marriage and has publicly and exclusively used the adopted name over a period of time (at least five years).
When needed, the Affidavit Regarding a Change of Name is completed at the time a U.S. citizen applies for a U.S. passport.Start Signature
Brenda S. Sprague,
Deputy Assistant Secretary for Passport Services, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Department of State.
[FR Doc. 2017-08081 Filed 4-20-17; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4710-06-P