This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 07/18/2017 at 08:45 am.
Notice of request for public comment.
The Department of State is seeking Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval for the information collection described below. In accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, we are requesting comments on this collection from all interested individuals and organizations. The purpose of this notice is to allow 60 days for public comment preceding submission of the collection to OMB.
The Department will accept comments from the public up to September 18, 2017.
You may submit comments by any of the following methods:
- Web: Persons with access to the Internet may comment on this notice by going to www.Regulations.gov. You can search for the document by entering “Docket Number: DOS-2017-0031” in the Search field. Then click the “Comment Now” button and complete the comment form.
- Email: JExchanges@State.gov.
- Regular Mail: Send written comments to: U.S. Department of State, ECA/EC, SA-5, Floor 5, 2200 C Street NW., Washington, DC 20522-0505, ATTN: Federal Register Notice Response.
You must include the DS form number (if applicable), information collection title, and the OMB control number in any correspondence.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Direct requests for additional information regarding the collection listed in this notice, including requests for copies of the proposed collection instrument and supporting documents, to G. Kevin Saba, Director, Office of Policy and Program Support, Office of Private Sector Exchange, ECA/EC, SA-5, Floor 5, Department of State, 2200 C Street, NW., Washington, DC 20522-0505, who may be reached at JExchanges@state.gov.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information Start Printed Page 33199
- Title of Information Collection: Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status.
- OMB Control Number: 1405-0119.
- Type of Request: Revision of a Currently Approved Collection.
- Originating Office: Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of Policy and Program Support (ECA/EC).
- Form Number: DS-2019.
- Respondents: U.S. Department of State designated sponsors.
- Estimated Number of Respondents: 1,500.
- Estimated Number of Responses: 325,000.
- Average Time Per Response: 45 minutes.
- Total Estimated Burden Time: 243,750 annual hours.
- Frequency: On occasion.
- Obligation to Respond: Required to Obtain or Retain a Benefit”
We are soliciting public comments to permit the Department to:
- Evaluate whether the proposed information collection is necessary for the proper functions of the Department.
- Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the time and cost burden for this proposed collection, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used.
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected.
- Minimize the reporting burden on those who are to respond, including the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of information technology.
Please note that comments submitted in response to this Notice are public record. Before including any detailed personal information, you should be aware that your comments as submitted, including your personal information, will be available for public review.
Abstract of Proposed Collection
The collection is the continuation of information collected and needed by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs in administering the Exchange Visitor Program (J-Nonimmigrant) under the provisions of the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act, as amended (22 U.S.C. 2451, et seq.). The Form DS-2019 is the document that provides the information needed to identify an individual (and spouse and dependents, where applicable) seeking to enter the U.S. as an Exchange Visitor in J-Nonimmigrant status. Changes have been made to Section 6 of the DS-2019 to include a responsible officer/alternate responsible officer attestation that the sponsor has complied with requirements in 22 CFR 62.12(b). In the instructions to Form DS-2019, Section 2 of the instructions has been reworded to ensure that exchange visitors and their accompanying spouses and dependents remain in compliance with insurance requirements under 22 CFR 62.14 during the course of the exchange.
Access to Form DS-2019 is made available to Department designated sponsors electronically via the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).Start Signature
G. Kevin Saba,
Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary for Private Sector Exchange, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, U.S. Department of State.
[FR Doc. 2017-15114 Filed 7-18-17; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4710-05-P