This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 07/24/2017 at 08:45 am.
Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) published a direct final rule in the Federal Register on March 24, 2017, that amended NRC's spent fuel storage regulations by adding the TN Americas LLC, NUHOMS® Extended Optimized Storage (EOS) Dry Spent Fuel Storage System to the “List of approved spent fuel storage casks” as Certificate of Compliance (CoC) No. 1042. This action is necessary to correct the certificate expiration date.
The correction is effective July 25, 2017.
Please refer to Docket ID NRC-2016-0254 when contacting the NRC about the availability of information regarding this document. You may obtain publicly-available information related to this document using any of the following methods:
- Federal Rulemaking Web site: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket ID NRC-2016-0254. Address questions about NRC dockets to Carol Gallagher; telephone: 301-415-3463; email: Carol.Gallagher@nrc.gov. For technical questions, contact the individual listed in the FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT section of this document.
- NRC's Agencywide Documents Access and Management System (ADAMS): You may obtain publicly-available documents online in the ADAMS Public Documents collection at http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/adams.html. To begin the search, select “ADAMS Public Documents” and then select “Begin Web-based ADAMS Search.” For problems with ADAMS, please contact the NRC's Public Document Room (PDR) reference staff at 1-800-397-4209, 301-415-4737, or by email to email@example.com. The ADAMS accession number for each document referenced (if it is available in ADAMS) is provided the first time that it is mentioned in this document.
- NRC's PDR: You may examine and purchase copies of public documents at the NRC's PDR, Room O1-F21, One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Rockville, Maryland 20852.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Edward Lohr, Office of Nuclear Material Safety and Safeguards, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001; telephone: 301-415-0253; email: Edward.Lohr@nrc.gov.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
The NRC published a direct final rule in the Federal Register on March 24, 2017 (82 FR 14991), which added the TN Americas LLC NUHOMS® EOS Dry Spent Fuel Storage System to the “List of approved spent fuel storage casks” as CoC No. 1042. The direct final rule was effective on June 7, 2017. The CoC expiration date listed in the direct final rule was incorrect. This document corrects the CoC expiration date.
Under the Administrative Procedure Act (5 U.S.C. 553(b)), an agency may waive the normal notice and comment requirements if it finds, for good cause, that they are impracticable, unnecessary, or contrary to the public interest. As authorized by 5 U.S.C. 553(b)(3)(B), the NRC finds good cause to waive notice and opportunity for comment on the amendment because it will have no substantive impact and is of a minor and administrative nature dealing with a correction to a CFR section related only to management, organization, procedure, and practice. Specifically, this amendment is to correct an editorial error. This amendment does not require action by any person or entity regulated by the NRC. Also, this final rule does not change the substantive responsibilities of any person or entity regulated by the NRC. Accordingly, for the reasons stated, the NRC finds, pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 553(d)(3), that good cause exists to make this rule effective upon publication.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 10 CFR Part 72
- Administrative practice and procedures
- Criminal penalties
- Hazardous waste
- Intergovernmental relations
- Manpower training programs
- Nuclear energy
- Nuclear materials
- Occupational safety and health
- Radiation protection
- Reporting and recordkeeping requirements
- Security measures
- Spent fuel
For the reasons set out in the preamble and under the authority of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended; the Energy Reorganization Act of 1974, as amended; the Nuclear Waste Policy Act of 1982, as amended; and 5 U.S.C. 552 and 553; the NRC is adopting the following amendment to 10 CFR part 72:Start Part
PART 72—LICENSING REQUIREMENTS FOR THE INDEPENDENT STORAGE OF SPENT NUCLEAR FUEL, HIGH-LEVEL RADIOACTIVE WASTE, AND REACTOR-RELATED GREATER THAN CLASS C WASTEEnd Part Start Amendment Part
1. The authority citation for part 72 continues to read as follows:End Amendment Part Start Amendment Part
2. In § 72.214, Certificate of Compliance 1042 is revised to read as follows:End Amendment Part
Certificate Number: 1042.
Initial Certificate Effective Date: June 7, 2017.
SAR Submitted by: TN Americas LLC.
SAR Title: Final Safety Analysis Report for the NUHOMS® EOS Dry Spent Fuel Storage System.Start Printed Page 34388
Docket Number: 72-1042.
Certificate Expiration Date: June 7, 2037.
Model Number: EOS-37PTH, EOS-89BTH.
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 19th day of July, 2017.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Chief, Rules, Announcements, and Directives Branch, Division of Administrative Services, Office of Administration.
[FR Doc. 2017-15521 Filed 7-24-17; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P