Food and Drug Administration, HHS.
Notice of availability.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA, we, or Agency) is announcing the availability of a draft guidance for industry #245 entitled “Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Food for Animals.” This draft guidance document, when finalized, will help animal food facilities comply with the requirements for hazard analysis and risk-based preventive controls under our regulation “Current Good Manufacturing Practice, Hazard Analysis, and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Food for Animals.”
Submit either electronic or written comments on the draft guidance by July 23, 2018 to ensure that the Agency considers your comment on this draft guidance before it begins work on the final version of the guidance.
You may submit comments on any guidance at any time as follows:
Submit electronic comments in the following way:
Federal eRulemaking Portal: https://www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments. Comments submitted electronically, including attachments, to https://www.regulations.gov will be posted to the docket unchanged. Because your comment will be made public, you are solely responsible for ensuring that your comment does not include any confidential information that you or a third party may not wish to be posted, such as medical information, your or anyone else's Social Security number, or confidential business information, such as a manufacturing process. Please note that if you include your name, contact information, or other information that identifies you in the body of your comments, that information will be posted on https://www.regulations.gov.
- If you want to submit a comment with confidential information that you do not wish to be made available to the public, submit the comment as a written/paper submission and in the manner detailed (see “Written/Paper Submissions” and “Instructions”).
Submit written/paper submissions as follows:
Mail/Hand delivery/Courier (for written/paper submissions): Dockets Management Staff (HFA-305), Food and Drug Administration, 5630 Fishers Lane, Rm. 1061, Rockville, MD 20852.
- For written/paper comments submitted to the Dockets Management Staff, FDA will post your comment, as well as any attachments, except for information submitted, marked and identified, as confidential, if submitted as detailed in “Instructions.”
Instructions: All submissions received must include the Docket No. FDA-2016-D-2343 for “Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Food for Animals.” Received comments will be placed in the docket and, except for those submitted as “Confidential Submissions,” publicly viewable at https://www.regulations.gov or at the Dockets Management Staff between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Confidential Submissions—To submit a comment with confidential information that you do not wish to be made publicly available, submit your comments only as a written/paper submission. You should submit two copies total. One copy will include the information you claim to be confidential with a heading or cover note that states “THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION.” The Agency will review this copy, including the claimed confidential information, in its consideration of comments. The second copy, which will have the claimed confidential information redacted/blacked out, will be available for public viewing and posted on https://www.regulations.gov. Submit both copies to the Dockets Management Staff. If you do not wish your name and contact information to be made publicly available, you can provide this information on the cover sheet and not in the body of your comments and you must identify this information as “confidential.” Any information marked as “confidential” will not be disclosed except in accordance with 21 CFR 10.20 and other applicable disclosure law. For more information about FDA's posting of comments to public dockets, see 80 FR 56469, September 18, 2015, or access the information at: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-09-18/pdf/2015-23389.pdf.
Docket: For access to the docket to read background documents or the electronic and written/paper comments received, go to https://www.regulations.gov and insert the docket number, found in brackets in the heading of this document, into the “Search” box and follow the prompts and/or go to the Dockets Management Staff, 5630 Fishers Lane, Rm. 1061, Rockville, MD 20852.
You may submit comments on any guidance at any time (see 21 CFR 10.115(g)(5)).
Submit written requests for single copies of the guidance to the Policy and Regulations Staff (HFV-6), Center for Veterinary Medicine, Food and Drug Administration, 7500 Standish Pl., Rockville, MD 20855. Send one self-addressed adhesive label to assist that office in processing your requests. See the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section for electronic access to the draft guidance document.
Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Jenny Murphy, Center for Veterinary Medicine (HFV-200), Food and Drug Administration, 7519 Standish Pl., Rockville, MD 20855, 240-402-6246, firstname.lastname@example.org.
End Further Info
Start Supplemental Information
The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) (Pub. L. 111-353) enables FDA to better protect public (human and animal) health by helping to ensure the safety and security of the food supply. FSMA enables FDA to focus more on preventing animal food safety problems rather than relying primarily on reacting to problems after they occur.
Section 103 of FSMA amended the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act), by adding section 418 (21 U.S.C. 350g) with requirements for hazard analysis and risk-based preventive controls for establishments that are required to register as food facilities under our regulations in 21 CFR part 1, subpart H, in accordance with section 415 of the FD&C Act (21 U.S.C. 350d). We have established regulations to implement the hazard analysis and risk-based preventive controls requirements within part 507 (21 CFR part 507).
We are announcing the availability of a draft guidance for industry #245 entitled “Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Food for Animals.” This multi-chapter draft guidance for industry is intended to Start Printed Page 3164explain how to comply with the requirements for hazard analysis and risk-based preventive controls for food for animals under part 507. The chapters we are announcing in this document are as follows:
- Chapter One—The Food Safety Plan
- Chapter Two—Conducting a Hazard Analysis
- Chapter Three—Hazards Associated with the Manufacturing, Processing, Packing, and Holding of Animal Food
- Chapter Four—Preventive Controls
- Chapter Five—Overview of Preventive Control Management Components
We intend to announce the availability for public comment of additional chapters of the draft guidance as we complete them.
II. Significance of Guidance
This level 1 draft guidance is being issued consistent with FDA's good guidance practices regulation (21 CFR 10.115). The draft guidance, when finalized, will represent the current thinking of FDA on how to comply with the hazard analysis and risk-based preventive controls requirements for the regulation “Current Good Manufacturing Practice, Hazard Analysis, and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Food for Animals.” It does not establish any rights for any person and is not binding on FDA or the public. You can use an alternative approach if it satisfies the requirements of the applicable statutes and regulations. This guidance is not subject to Executive Order 12866.
III. Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995
This draft guidance refers to previously approved collections of information found in FDA regulations. These collections of information are subject to review by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) under the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (44 U.S.C. 3501-3520). The collections of information in part 507 have been approved under OMB control number 0910-0789.
IV. Electronic Access
Persons with access to the internet may obtain the draft guidance at either https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/GuidanceComplianceEnforcement/GuidanceforIndustry/default.htm or https://www.regulations.gov. Use the FDA website listed in the previous sentence to find the most current version of the guidance.
End Supplemental Information
Dated: January 17, 2018.
Associate Commissioner for Policy.
[FR Doc. 2018-01126 Filed 1-22-18; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4164-01-P