National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).
Notice of availability of proposed records schedules; request for comments.
The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) publishes notice at least once monthly of certain Federal agency requests for records disposition authority (records schedules). Once approved by NARA, records schedules provide mandatory instructions on what happens to records when agencies no longer need them for current Government business. The records schedules authorize agencies to preserve records of continuing value in the National Archives of the United States and to destroy, after a specified period, records lacking administrative, legal, research, or other value. NARA publishes notice in the Federal Register for records schedules in which agencies propose to destroy records they no longer need to conduct agency business. NARA invites public comments on such records schedules.
NARA must receive requests for copies in writing by October 4, 2018. Once NARA finishes appraising the records, we will send you a copy of the schedule you requested. We usually prepare appraisal memoranda that contain additional information concerning the records covered by a proposed schedule. You may also request these. If you do, we will also provide them once we have completed the appraisal. You have 30 days after we send to you these requested documents in which to submit comments.
You may request a copy of any records schedule identified in this notice by contacting Records Appraisal and Agency Assistance (ACRA) using one of the following means:
Mail: NARA (ACRA), 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001.
You must cite the control number, which appears in parentheses after the name of the agency that submitted the schedule, and a mailing address. If you would like an appraisal report, please include that in your request.
Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Margaret Hawkins, Director, by mail at Records Appraisal and Agency Assistance (ACRA), National Archives and Records Administration, 8601 Adelphi Road; College Park, MD 20740-6001, by phone at 301-837-1799, or by email at email@example.com.
End Further Info
Start Supplemental Information
NARA publishes notice in the Federal Register for records schedules they no longer need to conduct agency business. NARA invites public comments on such records schedules, as required by 44 U.S.C. 3303a(a).
Each year, Federal agencies create billions of records on paper, film, magnetic tape, and other media. To control this accumulation, agency records managers prepare schedules proposing records retention periods and submit these schedules for NARA's approval. These schedules provide for timely transfer into the National Archives of historically valuable records and authorize the agency to dispose of all other records after the agency no longer needs them to conduct its business. Some schedules are comprehensive and cover all the records of an agency or one of its major subdivisions. Most schedules, however, cover records of only one office or program or a few series of records. Many of these update previously approved schedules, and some include records proposed as permanent.
The schedules listed in this notice are media neutral unless otherwise specified. An item in a schedule is media neutral when an agency may apply the disposition instructions to records regardless of the medium in Start Printed Page 44914which it creates or maintains the records. Items included in schedules submitted to NARA on or after December 17, 2007, are media neutral unless the item is expressly limited to a specific medium. (See 36 CFR 1225.12(e).)
Agencies may not destroy Federal records without Archivist of the United States' approval. The Archivist approves destruction only after thoroughly considering the records' administrative use by the agency of origin, the rights of the Government and of private people directly affected by the Government's activities, and whether or not the records have historical or other value.
In addition to identifying the Federal agencies and any subdivisions requesting disposition authority, this notice lists the organizational unit(s) accumulating the records (or notes that the schedule has agency-wide applicability when schedules cover records that may be accumulated throughout an agency); provides the control number assigned to each schedule, the total number of schedule items, and the number of temporary items (the records proposed for destruction); and includes a brief description of the temporary records. The records schedule itself contains a full description of the records at the file unit level as well as their disposition. If NARA staff has prepared an appraisal memorandum for the schedule, it also includes information about the records. You may request additional information about the disposition process at the addresses above.
1. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service (DAA-0095-2018-0015, 1 item, 1 temporary item). General correspondence, policies, and project reports related to pesticide development, use, management, and safety.
2. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service (DAA-0095-2018-0022, 1 item, 1 temporary item). Administrative policies and procedures, correspondence, memoranda, and training records of the law enforcement program.
3. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service (DAA-0095-2018-0029, 1 item, 1 temporary item). General correspondence, coordination, and progress records related to energy program management.
4. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service (DAA-0095-2018-0030, 2 items, 2 temporary items). Correspondence, applications, and supporting documents related to the management and tracking of grazing permit applications.
5. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service (DAA-0095-2018-0031, 1 item, 1 temporary item). General correspondence and inquiries related to nonstructural range improvements.
6. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service (DAA-0095-2018-0033, 1 item, 1 temporary item). General correspondence, statistical data, plans, and agreements related to the management of wild free-roaming horses and burros.
7. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service (DAA-0095-2018-0038, 1 item, 1 temporary item). General correspondence, statistical data, and reports related to the management of recreation sites and programs.
8. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service (DAA-0095-2018-0040, 1 item, 1 temporary item). Correspondence, inventory and monitoring reports, and general inquiries related to trail management.
9. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service (DAA-0095-2018-0041, 1 item, 1 temporary item). Correspondence, progress reports, and purchasing lists related to management of recycling and waste prevention programs acquisition activities.
10. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service (DAA-0095-2018-0043, 2 items, 2 temporary items). Correspondence, market trend data, rate and cost tables, and studies related to timber value appraisals.
11. Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (DAA-0567-2018-0001, 2 items, 2 temporary items). Records of participation in alternatives to detention programs.
12. Department of Homeland Security, Transportation Security Administration (DAA-0560-2017-0021, 14 items, 14 temporary items). Occupational safety, health, and environment records.
13. Department of Justice, Criminal Division (DAA-0060-2018-0001, 3 items, 1 temporary item). Records documenting the administration of the United States Victims of State Sponsored Terrorism Fund, including non-significant administrative and operations records. Proposed for permanent retention are background and policy files, including claims forms and supporting case files.
14. Federal Maritime Commission, Office of the Inspector General (DAA-0358-2017-0003, 12 items, 8 temporary items). Records relating to routine investigations, audits and evaluations, and peer reviews. Proposed for permanent retention are records relating to significant audits and investigations, final policy, and reports to Congress.
End Supplemental Information
Chief Records Officer for the U.S. Government.
[FR Doc. 2018-19068 Filed 8-31-18; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7515-01-P