Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Department of Justice.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), will submit the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection OMB 1140-0011 (Application to Make and Register a Firearm—ATF Form 1 (5320.1)), is being revised to include formatting changes, additional questions, and updates to the instructions.
Start Printed Page 17424
Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for 60 days until June 24, 2019.
Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
If you have additional comments, regarding the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact: James Chancey, National Firearms Act Division either by mail at 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by telephone at 304-616-4594.
End Further Info
Start Supplemental Information
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Evaluate whether and if so how the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected can be enhanced; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
1. Type of Information Collection (check justification or form 83): Revision of a currently approved collection.
2. The Title of the Form/Collection: Application to Make and Register a Firearm.
3. The agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection:
Form number (if applicable): ATF Form 1 (5320.1).
Component: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, U.S. Department of Justice.
4. Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract:
Primary: Individuals or households, Business or other for-profit, Federal Government and State, Local or Tribal Government.
Other (if applicable): Farms and Not-for-profit.
Abstract: The ATF Form 1 (5320.1) is required obtain permission to make and register a National Firearms Act (NFA) firearm. Possession of an unregistered NFA firearm is illegal. The approval of the application effectuates the registration of the firearm to the applicant. For any person other than a government agency, the making incurs a tax of $200.
5. An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: An estimated 25,716 respondents will utilize the form one (1) time, and it will take each respondent approximately 239.9 minutes to complete their responses.
6. An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: The estimated annual public burden associated with this collection is 102, 808 hours, which is equal to 25,716 (# of respondents) * 3.99783 hours (239.9 minutes).
If additional information is required contact: Melody Braswell, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, Two Constitution Square, 145 N Street NE, 3E.405A, Washington, DC 20530.
End Supplemental Information
Dated: April 19, 2019.
Department Clearance Officer for PRA, U.S. Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 2019-08317 Filed 4-24-19; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-FY-P