Defense Security Cooperation Agency, Department of Defense (DoD).
Arms sales notice.
The Department of Defense is publishing the unclassified text of an arms sales notification.
Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Karma Job at email@example.com or (703) 697-8976.
End Further Info
Start Supplemental Information
This 36(b)(1) arms sales notification is published to fulfill the requirements of section 155 of Public Law 104-164 dated July 21, 1996. The following is a copy of a letter to the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Transmittal 20-81 with attached Policy Justification and Sensitivity of Technology.
Start Printed Page 11951
Dated: February 23, 2021.
Aaron T. Siegel,
Alternate OSD Federal Register Liaison Officer, Department of Defense.
Transmittal No. 20-81
Notice of Proposed Issuance of Letter of Offer Pursuant to Section 36(b)(1) of the Arms Export Control Act, as amended
(i) Prospective Purchaser: Government of Egypt
(ii) Total Estimated Value:
|Major Defense Equipment *||$182 million|
|Other||$ 15 million|
Funding Source: Foreign Military Financing (FMF)
(iii) Description and Quantity or Quantities of Articles or Services under Consideration for Purchase:
Major Defense Equipment (MDE):
Up to one hundred sixty-eight (168) RIM-116C Rolling Airframe Missiles (RAM) Block 2 Tactical Missiles
Also included are RAM Guided Missile Round Pack Tri-Pack shipping and storage containers; operator manuals and technical documentation; U.S. Government and contractor engineering, technical and logistics Start Printed Page 11952support services; and other related elements of logistical and program support.
(iv) Military Department: Navy (EG-P-ADJ)
(v) Prior Related Cases, if any: EG-P-GJG
(vi) Sales Commission, Fee, etc., Paid, Offered, or Agreed to be Paid: None
(vii) Sensitivity of Technology Contained in the Defense Article or Defense Services Proposed to be Sold: See Attached Annex
(viii) Date Report Delivered to Congress: February 16, 2021
* As defined in Section 47(6) of the Arms Export Control Act.
Egypt—Rolling Airframe Missiles (RAM) Block 2 Tactical Missiles
The Government of Egypt has requested to buy up to one hundred sixty-eight (168) RIM-116C Rolling Airframe Missiles (RAM) Block 2 tactical missiles. Also included are RAM Guided Missile Round Pack Tri-Pack shipping and storage containers; operator manuals and technical documentation; U.S. Government and contractor engineering, technical and logistics support services; and other related elements of logistical and program support. The estimated total program cost is $197 million.
This proposed sale will support the foreign policy and national security of the United States by helping to improve the security of a Major Non-NATO Ally country that continues to be an important strategic partner in the Middle East.
The proposed sale will support the Egyptian Navy's Fast Missile Craft ships and provide significantly enhanced area defense capabilities over Egypt's coastal areas and approaches to the Suez Canal. Egypt will have no difficulty absorbing this equipment into its armed forces since Egypt already operates previously procured RAM Block 1A missiles.
The proposed sale of this equipment and support will not alter the basic military balance in the region.
The principal contractor will be Raytheon Missiles & Defense (RMD), Tucson, AZ. There are no known offset agreements proposed in connection with this potential sale.
Implementation of this sale will not require the assignment of any U.S. or contractor representatives to Egypt.
There will be no adverse impact on U.S. defense readiness as a result of this proposed sale.
Transmittal No. 20-81
Notice of Proposed Issuance of Letter of Offer Pursuant to Section 36(b)(1) of the Arms Export Control Act
Item No. vii
(vii) Sensitivity of Technology:
1. The RIM-116C Rolling Airframe Missile (RAM) is an autonomous (i.e., “fire and forget”) lightweight, supersonic, surface-to-air tactical missile for ship self-defense against current and evolving anti-ship cruise missile threats. Advanced technology in the RIM-116C includes dual-mode RF/IR (radio frequency/infrared) guidance with IR all-the-way capability for non-emitting threats.
2. The highest level of classification of defense articles, components, and services included in this potential sale is SECRET.
3. If a technologically advanced adversary were to obtain knowledge of the specific hardware and software elements, the information could be used to develop countermeasures that might reduce weapon system effectiveness or be used in the development of a system with similar or advanced capabilities.
4. A determination has been made that Government of Egypt can provide substantially the same degree of protection for the sensitive technology being released as the U.S. Government. This sale is necessary in furtherance of the U.S. foreign policy and national security objectives outlined in the Policy Justification.
5. All defense articles and services listed in this transmittal have been authorized for release and export to the Government of Egypt.
End Supplemental Information
BILLING CODE 5001-06-P
[FR Doc. 2021-04124 Filed 2-26-21; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 5001-06-P